Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Golden Triangle of India

I was fortunate to have traveled to India to see its rich history of palaces, great cities and ancient culture. But, what gripped my imagination in particular was the ‘Golden Triangle Tour India’. This area comprises Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. I could not contain my excitement to see the fabled ‘Taj Mahal’ in Agra. Nearby, I went to see Red Fort and was quite amazed to see that its massive red sandstone walls rise over 65 feet and measure 1.5 miles in circumference. Notable attractions in Jaipur were the Amber Palace and the Palace of the Winds.

The tourist attractions in New Delhi India are a divide between the old and the new. It took me almost half a day to see the whole of the Red Fort in old Delhi. I just about managed to have a glimpse at the nearby Jama Masjid, India’s largest mosque. I found that ‘New Delhi’ is trying to become a modern city with tree-lined boulevards, spacious parks, and modern style luxury hotels. I kept gazing up at the soaring Qutab Minar tower. The city impressed me with some of the finest restaurants which offered not only many styles of regional cuisine but international cuisine as well.

No comments: